The PAS54x4 device family is PMC-Sierra's third-generation Quad EPON Optical Line Terminal (OLT) System-on-a-Chip (SoC) device, dedicated for use in a 1-Gbit/s Ethernet Passive Optical Network (IEEE 802.3ah EPON). Optimized for building a highdensity, feature-rich, low-cost EPON OLT in various line card configurations, the PAS54x4 devices integrate four EPON SERDES and burst-mode CDRs, four EPON Media Access Control (MAC) and protocol management; advanced EPON DBA, classification/ packet processing engine and traffic management; four SGMII CNI interfaces (in PAS5404/PAS5414) or two XAUI CNI uplinks with cascading option (in PAS5424); and two embedded ARM11 dual-core CPUs. Advanced PON diagnostic functions include Virtual Scope (RSSI) and integrated in-band OTDR for four channels. The device family also supports Time of Day (ToD), Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE), and IEEE 1588v2 time synchronization for cellular backhaul applications, and Power Save protocols for remote ONUs. The PAS54x4 device family is provided with an integrated software package, Application Program Interface (API), and board support package providing a complete OLT solution.
- Full IEEE 802.3ah EPON OLT functionality with a PMC-Sierra's EPON OLT for easy migration
- High density and feature-rich four-port EPON OLT SoC for cost-effective high-density line card
- Support for various markets and operator specifications (CTC, NTT, KT, US MSO); versatile to various line card configurations
- Integrated digital PON diagnostics for in-service detection of reducing carrier operating expenses
- Advanced hierarchical classification engine with support for services based on user and service models
- Advanced QoS features: advanced DBA algorithm and flexible scheduling, shaping and policing
- Power Save protocols and traffic buffering enabling up to 80% ONU system power reduction.
- Proven interoperability using PMC-Sierra EPON software