The PAS8xx1 family is 10G-EPON Optical Line Terminal (OLT) System-on-a-Chip (SoC) device family, dedicated for use in a 10-Gbit/s Ethernet Passive Optical Network (IEEE 802.3av 10G-EPON). The PAS8xx1 family integrates the 10G-EPON SERDES, burst-mode CDR, 10GEPON Media Access Control (MAC) and protocol management; advanced 10G-EPON DBA, classification/packet processing engine and traffic management; XAUI/RXAUI CNI interfaces, and dual embedded ARM11 CPUs. Advanced PON diagnostic functions include Virtual Scope (RSSI) and integrated in-band OTDR. The devices support Time of Day (ToD), Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE), and IEEE 1588v2 time synchronization for cellular backhaul applications, and Power Save protocols for remote ONUs. The PAS8xx1 devices are provided with an integrated software package, Application Program Interface (API), and board support package providing a complete OLT solution.
- Full IEEE 802.3av 10G-EPON OLT functionality with a comprehensive software package, compatible with PMC-Sierra's EPON OLT for easy migration.
- Co-existence with legacy EPON ONUs (1G, 10G EPON ONU can coexist on one OLT network) for seamless network upgrades.
- Support for various markets and operator specifications (CTC, NTT, KT, US MSO); versatile to various line card configurations
- Integrated digital PON diagnostics for in-service detection of PON problems, improving the network maintainability while reducing carrier operating expenses
- Advanced hierarchical classification engine with support for Service type and Layer 2/3/4 fields to provide true "triple play" services based on user and service models
- Advanced QoS features: advanced DBA algorithm and flexible traffic management to enable queuing per user/service, scheduling, shaping and policing.
- Power Save protocols and traffic buffering enabling up to 80% ONU system power reduction.
- Proven interoperability using PMC-Sierra 10G-EPON software